About the PalmCross®

The PalmCross® is handmade from solid American walnut wood and crafted to fit the hand. The PalmCross has no permanent finish, which allows the oils of the hands that hold it to become part of the wood and embed in the PalmCross® forever.
See our website to order. Visit us on Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

"The Lord GOD opens my ear that I may hear." Isaiah 50:4-9


ByRon PalmCross is excited to start publishing portions of a weekly worship aide written by an extended member of our family, Rodney Bluml, who is the Faith Formation Director at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Marion, IA. Rodney gives us history and helps place the reading in the overall picture - within scripture and within our daily lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Second Part of the book of the Prophet Isaiah 50: 4-9

The Lord GOD opens my ear that I may hear; and I have not rebelled, have not turned back. I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.

The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame. He is near who upholds my right; if anyone wishes to oppose me, let us appear together. Who disputes my right? Let that man confront me. See, the Lord GOD is my help; who will prove me wrong?

This author is responsible for writing chapters 40-55 of the Book of Isaiah. He was writing in the 6th century BCE. The prophet is writing from Babylon after Cyrus of Persia had signed the edict granting the Israelites the right to return home. For some reason, which is not completely clear, Isaiah’s fellow citizens begin to treat him badly, like the prophets before him. It may be a result of his speculations that God’s apparent absence and near divorce of the people was a result of their infidelity. The people had apparently grown tired of living as second-class citizens and desired some good news instead.

This reading is often referred to as one of the Servant Songs. It recalls the hardship endured during the exile by a disciple of God. Even though it is written in the first person, the narrative could be applied to the whole nation of Israel. The behavior of the Servant’s fellow citizens indicates that they are not granting him the honor due to one of God’s prophets. The Servant believes that his words are from God, even though they have brought him ridicule and insult. Any human labeled a “cultural failure” would be driven to give up, but this Servant is convinced that God will vindicate him in the end by restoring his honor when the truth is revealed. God, not humans, is this Servant’s champion and the giver of true honor.

After Jesus’ death and resurrection, faithful Jews looked back and saw how he had fulfilled the same “suffering servant” role for Israel that Isaiah had described in this and similar passages. God triumphs over evil again in His people Israel and in His son Jesus.

~

No comments:

Post a Comment